BGCO and the Ottawa Senators partner to form the Sens Sports & Leadership League (SSLL)
OTTAWA – The Ottawa Senators Foundation and the Boys & Girls of Club of Ottawa announced today a new five-year, $500,000 partnership. This announcement marks the first significant multi-year financial contribution the Ottawa Senators Foundation has made in the area of social recreation in the region. The funds will be used to create the Sens Sports and Leadership League.
“It’s a landmark day for the Ottawa Senators Foundation. We’re very proud to be partnering with the Boys & Girls Club of Ottawa and to invest in a program that will impact thousands of local children and youth,” said Danielle Robinson, president and CEO of the Ottawa Senators Foundation. “The new Sens Sports and Leadership League is our first significant investment in social recreation. This investment will provide access for one-in-five youth who do not have the means necessary to participate in after school programs and activities that help them develop confidence and essential life skills.”
With the objective of self-development through constructive group activity, the Sens Sports and Leadership League provides Boys & Girls Club members immersion in social activity, education, teamwork and leadership.
The Sens Sports and Leadership League will feature:
- Ottawa’s only no-fee, year-round competitive athletic league.
- Members will be able to participate in four sports: Ball hockey, basketball, soccer and “Walk This Way”, a walking program that allows participants to log their miles while walking to landmarks throughout the city.
– More than 880 members from 18 neighbourhoods will participate in up to four sports with each season lasting approximately 15 games, resulting in 12,500 person games played.
– Free transportation for participants to and from games – transportation is a major barrier to lower income families participating in organized sports.
“Physical activity, healthy lifestyle and leadership are all key components of the day-to-day programming at our eight locations across the city," says Colleen Mooney, Executive Director of the Boys and Girls Club of Ottawa. "In 2012, nearly 900 children and youth participated in our no-fee competitive sports programs. We are very grateful to the Ottawa Senators Foundation for this generous donation. Their commitment to sports and leadership in the community means we can continue to offer these important programs to our more than 4,500 members.”
About the Ottawa Senators Foundation
The Ottawa Senators Foundation empowers children and youth to reach their full potential by investing in social recreation and education programs that promote both physical and mental wellness. In partnership with the Ottawa Senators Hockey Club, alumni association, corporate partners and fans, more than $75 million has been contributed to thousands of initiatives and charities in the National Capital Region.
About the Boys & Girls Club of Ottawa
The mission of the Boys & Girls Club of Ottawa is to provide a safe, supportive place where children and youth can experience new opportunities, overcome barriers, build positive relationships and develop confidence and skills for life.
For the past 90 years the Boys & Girls Club of Ottawa has served the Ottawa community reaching out to more than 4,500 children and youth each year through after-school, weekend and summer programs that build self-esteem and help to develop stronger social skills.
Visit the Ottawa Senators Foundation website: www. sensfoundation.com
Follow the Ottawa Senators Foundation on Twitter: @sensfoundation
Like the Ottawa Senators Foundation on Facebook: www.facebook.com/ottawasenatorsfoundation
For more information, please contact:
Brad Weir, firstname.lastname@example.org
Amanda Nigh, email@example.com
Samantha Laprade, firstname.lastname@example.org
- See more at: http://www.bgcottawa.org/news/ottawa-senators-foundation-and-boys-girls-club-of-ottawa-announce-five-year-partnership-and-the-creation-of-the-sens-sports-and-leadership-league#sthash.nT4medba.dpuf